Quest Medical Centre Laboratory Certified.
GOAL OF THE PROGRAMME
To promote the implementation and maintenance of a Laboratory Management system in testing laboratories meeting the requirements of the GYS 170 standard, General requirements for the operation of a laboratory to assure the issue of accurate, reliable and consistent test results.
To facilitate the implementation and maintenance of a laboratory management system in testing laboratories thus ensuring the issuance of accurate, reliable and consistent test results.
To facilitate improvement in laboratory practices.
To provide users of laboratories with added confidence in the laboratory results.
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION
Laboratory Certification—A recognition of testing performance
Laboratory Certification is a means of determining the performance of laboratories conducting testing, measurement and calibration. It provides formal recognition that a laboratory has implemented a laboratory management system, thus providing a ready means to customers to identify and select reliable testing, measurement and calibration services to meet their needs.
To maintain this certification, laboratories are re-evaluated periodically by the Guyana National Bureau of Standards to ensure that there is continual compliance with the requirements and to check that their standard of operation is being maintained. The laboratory may also be required to participate in relevant proficiency testing programmes between reassessments, as a further demonstration of technical performance.
Laboratory Certification—A bench mark for performance
Laboratory Certification benefits laboratories by allowing them to determine whether they are performing their work efficiently in keeping with the requirements of the National Standard. Certification provides laboratories with a benchmark for maintaining the laboratory management system and improving the quality of laboratory services offered to customers.
STEPS FOR IMPLEMENTING THE PROGRAMME
1. An Application form for Certification of a laboratory must be completed by the client.
2. Application fee is paid to the Accounts Department of the GNBS.
3. The requirements of the programme are discussed with the client and the conditions for certification.
4. The laboratory purchases a copy of the standard to aid in the development of a quality manual and compilation of quality system procedures. Test methods conducted by the laboratory are documented in Technical Manuals.
5. The manuals are then submitted to the GNBS for review.
6. The laboratory implements the management system for at least three months before applying for an audit.
7. The audit is conducted and certification is granted providing the laboratory has followed the procedures set out in the relevant standards..
8. Surveillance visits are conducted at laboratories throughout the period of certification.
9. Renewal of Certification is completed every 2 years.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE STANDARD:
This section provides management requirements necessary to manage the laboratory operations efficiently. The key elements within this section include: Management system, Organisation, Subcontracting of tests, Document control, Purchasing of services and supplies, Complaint, Control of nonconforming testing, Internal audits and Management reviews.
This section provides requirements for safety in the laboratory. The laboratory is required to implement basic safety policies and procedures to ensure that the its environment is safe for all.
This section provides technical requirements necessary for technical operations of the laboratory. These requirements will enable the laboratory to perform tests that are recognized and produce accurate, reliable and consistent test results. The key elements in this section help the laboratory to efficiently monitor and manage: Personnel, Accommodation and environmental conditions, Equipment, Measurement traceability, Test methods, Quality assurance, Control of data, Sampling, Handling of test items and Reporting of results.
LABORATORIES CERTIFIED TO THE GYS 170 STANDARD FOR 2017
When visiting a certified laboratory, please request a copy of the scope of testing which will indicate the tests monitored by the GNBS.
Ms. Rodlyn Semple,
Head, Conformity Assessment Department